I recently had the occasion to need to get around the form protection in an MS Word file. Turns out it’s a pretty easy exploit, but the directions I found elsewhere on the internet didn’t quite do the job.
Here’s the trick:
- Open the protected document, and save it as an .html file.
- Close the .doc file, and open the .html file in a text editor such as notepad or GVIM
- In the .html file, find a tag that says something like: “<w:UnprotectPassword>ABCDEF01</w:UnprotectPassword>”
- Replace each of the characters in the tag with zeroes so it reads:
- Open the .html file in Word, and save it as a .doc. Go to Tools > Unprotect Document
That should do it. I’d love to hear any evidence to the contrary.
I love getting feedback and comments. Make my day by making a comment.