I was working on getting the old versions of the site up and going for history’s sake, and I have more or less accomplished the task, though I learned a very important lesson in the process.
For one, I learned that if you want to host additional custom directories
on your drupal site, it’s a piece of cake: Just make the directories in
your drupal directory, and you’re done. For example, my drupal directory is
/usr/share/drupal-5.1, so to host a page at michaeljaylissner.com/oldsite,
I just made a directory at
/usr/share/drupal-5.1/oldsite, put stuff in it,
and was done.
The more important lesson was that when hand-coding HTML, as I did in the
previous version of the site, relative links such as
are NOT the same as relative links such as assets/picture1.jpg. Both work,
but only one is actually relative to the current page (the latter one). The
former one may as well have been written
michaeljaylissner.com/assets/picture1.jpg, because that’s what that first
slash means. Duh.
Somehow, I never ran into this problem before now. Anyway, if you take the time to check out the old site (which I don’t really recommend), you’ll find many broken links. This is why. The other project I have been working on is getting all of my pictures from the old site set up on this site in a place where registered users can find them. This is a work in progress, but if you’re a registered user, you might be interested to see them, if you haven’t already.
I love getting feedback and comments. Make my day by making a comment.